Using your iPhone 5 repair kit from Digital Supply USA, follow these step-by-step instructions to remove and replace the screen.
iPhone 5 Parts
Disclaimer: Repair phone at own risk. Digital Supply USA is not responsible for damaged phones or parts incurred during the repair process.
- Mini screwdriver
- Metal wire
- LOCA glue
- Replacement screen
Other Supplies Necessary:
- Hair blow dryer
- Scotch tape
- Rubbing alcohol
- Use your screwdriver to remove the two pentalobe screws from each side of the charging port on the bottom edge of the device.
- Pry the screen from the metal frame and lift it up, but don’t pull it off.
- Remove three screws from the ribbon cable in the upper righthand corner of the phone’s interior.
- Release the screen from the metal frame and set the bottom half of the phone aside.
- Remove three screws from each side of the screen.
- Remove the ear piece, home button and metal plating on the back of the screen. Loosen any adhesive holding components to the screen by heating it with the blow dryer.
- Remove the bezel frame surrounding the screen. Use the blow dryer to heat and loosen the adhesive as necessary.
- Cover the entire screen of your iPhone 5 with scotch tape. Then, heat it with the blow dryer until the tape melts, ensuring that glass shards won’t be left behind when screen is peeled off later.
- With the screen already heated from the blow dryer, slip the piece of wire under the screen at the top edge of the device. Pull the wire down behind the screen to remove the coating. Reheat as necessary with the blow dryer if the wire gets stuck, and continue until the wire is pulled completely through and the coating is removed.
- Peel the broken glass off the iPhone 5 LCD display.
- Use the blow dryer to heat the LCD display’s adhesive. Once it’s hot, gently slide the razorblade along the glue to scrape it off.
- Dab a small amount of rubbing alcohol onto a paper towel. Gently rub it on the LCD display to remove any remaining adhesive.
- Place the LCD display on a clean paper towel. Set the new bezel frame on top, being careful to line it up with the display, and use a permanent marker to dot around the edges on the paper towel.
- Prevent liquid from dripping onto the back of the new iPhone 5 display by taping town each edge with scotch tape.
- Apply the LOCA glue evenly across the LCD display.
- Set the new glass over the display, starting at the edge of the device with the charging port. Press down very slowly to allow the glue to spread evenly, making sure everything is properly aligned as you go.
- Use the flashlight for approximately five minutes to dry the adhesive, concentrating on the edges and corners.
- Remove the tape from the phone, then gently scrape off any remaining adhesive with the razorblade.
- Use the flashlight around the edges of the device to ensure all the glue is completely dry.
- Use the blow dryer to heat the bezel frame and activate the pre-installed adhesive.
- Once the glue starts to bubble, align the bezel frame over the phone then begin press down until it has completely adhered.
- Attach the metal plate, speaker mesh and home button to the new screen, followed by the ribbon cable.
- Connect the two halves of the phone and replace the two screws on either side of the charging port.
- Power on your iPhone 5 and check to make sure your new screen is working properly.
Notes from Digital Supply USA:
- Carefully track which screws came from which locations in the phone to ensure that everything returns to its proper place.
- Keep the tiny screws far away from the blow dryer so that they don’t blow away when heating the adhesive.
- Adding scotch tape to the screen is only necessary if your iPhone 5 screen is shattered; you can skip this step for screens with only a hairline fracture.
- Keep the LCD display on a flat surface throughout the replacement.
- To ensure that you clean your LCD display effectively, your rubbing alcohol should have an alcohol content above 90 percent.