Is iPhone 12 Repairable?
The new iPhone 12 is the true successor of the iPhone 11, which was launched on 13th October 2020. It gained a lot of attention worldwide for its new gorgeous design. With a new chipset, immersive cameras, and great performance, iPhone 12 really stands out from the crowd.
However, some specific parts of the phone are highly sensitive to damages like the edges and the screen.
Apple has a bad history of running into bugs and glitches like touch ID, Face ID sensors and swapping camera modules. These are the essential part of unlocking the phone. The body is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass but is still prone to accidental damages too. Even though Apple claims to have the ‘oleophobic coating’ and scratch-resistant ceramic glass on its body, it still has minor scratches and cracks.
Now the real question is, ‘Are iPhone 12 fixable/repairable?’ The answer is ‘Yes,’ but what if you want to spend another thousand dollars on the replacement parts from Apple care? Is it possible? Are third party companies reliable and trustworthy?
All these would be answered accordingly but first, let us discuss some of the new features of the iPhone 12 and see what it has under its hood.
Specifications: The new iPhone 12 comes with
- iOS 14.1 (upgradable upto 14.2)
- Apple A14 Bionic chip (5nm)
- 2 main cameras (12MP each, f/1.6, f/2.4), selfie camera (12MP, f/2.2)
- Super Retina Display XDR OLED, 1170 x 2532 pixels
- Dual VoLTE with 5G support
Technicalities: Apple is very strict with their repair and replacement parts. So it’s not a shock that Apple has placed arbitrary restrictions on the third party companies for these activities. Reason being Apple is committed to giving their customers more locations and options for reliable and safe repairs. It is definitely possible to get the iPhone 12 parts repaired and replaced, but there's a catch.
Random issues pop up even while swapping parts from similar models. Issues like unresponsiveness, bugs while switching camera modes, etc. Although, there doesn't seem to be any problems in the iPhone 12 Pro but in the iPhone 12. These repairs cannot be made without access to Apple's proprietary tools, which is only available to company authorized technicians. Yet, we would like to share some of our tips and tricks to repair/replace the damaged screen of iPhone 12.
- First, make sure to power off the phone.
- Get a toolbox necessary for the iPhone repairs
- Remove the pencil up screws from the bottom of the iPhone with the pencil up the screwdriver
- Now, after removing the screws, remove the screen from the body by applying heat with a hot plate, which is held together by an adhesive at the edges. You can do it by placing it on a hot plate. You can even use a hairdryer or heat gun by moving it consistently across the screen.
- Put on gloves to hold the iPhone after its hot enough for the adhesive removal. Use a thin metal prying tool to remove the screen by placing it between the metal frame and the screen. Gently push the screen upwards by applying pressure to release the adhesive. Do this a few more times from all the edges.
- After successfully separating the screen from the motherboard, which was attached to the body, remove the screws which are holding down the flex cable for the screen and batteries. Disconnect the battery, so there's no electricity running the phone, then disconnect the OLED and display cable and then touch screen digitizer cable.
- Next up, remove the screws which are holding down a few more Brackets and cables. Once the brackets are removed, remove the last cable that connects the ear speaker portion of the screen. Now you can go ahead and separate the screen from the main body frame.
- Remove the screws of the brackets that are attached to the speaker assembly of the iPhone 12. There would be some adhesive on the speaker assembly, so use a plastic prying tool, remove it gently.
- Apply some pressure upwards on the proximity sensor and microphone input and gently lift it up until it's out of the socket.
- Finally, you will have the completely naked iPhone 12 screen. Now you will have to put everything back in place in reverse order.
- Get the new screen and attach the speaker assembly and proximity sensor back into their brackets in the new screen.
- Gently press the microphone cable in its bracket alongside the speaker and attach it to the adhesive. Flip the assembly back in their slots and then place the screws.
- Connect the rest of the speaker and sensor cables on the motherboard
- Connect the touch screen and digitizer cable at the bottom and then the OLED display cable.
- Once all of these cables are connected, finally, connect the battery cable to the respective slot and screw the brackets back together.
- Close the screen unit to its body by applying pressure on the ridges until its nice and flush completely. Tighten up the two pencil screws at the bottom, and the iPhone 12 screen replacement is done!
Verdict: After turning the power back on, your phone will be as good as new.
However, all these steps might be too confusing for you since it needs precision and experience which everybody obviously doesn't have. Also, you don't want your new phone to get into the wrong hands and completely shut down.
Phones have become an essential part of our lives, and we can't live without them for a single moment. And getting it fixed from the authorized stores breaks the bank. So for that, you can take advice from experts from our website for free shipping and a lifetime warranty. Our team is highly professional and get the right replacement parts at affordable prices.